Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Not a Fan

Well I'm here sitting in Kansas, a couple days ago I thought we would never get here. We left Chesapeake at 4pm on Friday and started traveling...a couple hours later we encountered snow. Yes, lots of snow. I was driving at first but then the snow became a little to much for me to handle. Ronnie drove for the next 40+ hours. The snow became more intense and highways 64 and 81 were closed at certain points on Friday night. Thankfully, Ronnie has some mad skills with driving and my little Hyundai accent is somehow amazing in snow. After seeing thousands of cars off the road, truckers jack-knifed and tipped over, helping a trans am out of the snow, making new friends, sitting for hours upon end in traffic, almost having a heart attack (Me, Heather, that is), hiking up to our hotel in more than a foot of snow, sleeping only a few hours, eating lots of junkfood (basically nothing was open), seeing more snow than I ever wanted to...we got out of West Virginia. It took us until Sunday morning to make our way out of the snow. After that it was smooth sailing. We ended up getting to Kansas in about 50 hours....and its usually a 22 hour drive. I'm pretty sure if I go my whole life and never see another flake of snow, I will be perfectly happy. But, don't worry...it's supposed to snow here on Christmas. Am I a scrooge for NOT wanting a white Christmas. Maybe...but Christmas is still Christmas in Belize.

8 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad you made it safe! We can totally be friends because I'm "not a fan" either!

Lisa said...

That looks like our weather!! We've had to drive on roads like that and it is NOT fun! Rexburg to Calgary is not a fun drive during a blizzard! I'm sure it was a huge relief when you made it to your destination!

L said...

Wellllll you know how I feel about this whole thing...."HODE ME I'M CODE" is what I would have said right before demanding to be taken back to Chesapeake. Love you lots and glad you both made it. I will pray that there will be snow there and that you will make it back!

Megan and Taj said...

SCARY!!!!! I am glad you are alive! I have been there and done that here in Utah... there were times I thought I was a goner!!! I seriously would pray my guts out all the way to wherever I was going in such a situation... the when you finally get there you realize how tense you are from driving when your cramps up ... oh yea... NOT A FAN!

Emily Hamilton said...

Oh...sad!!! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry. I'm glad you made it safe. Yuck. I hope the sun is shining for you on your trip back.

BEN and BRIT said...

Gross is right. Ben and I are moving to Houston and I am so looking forward to warm weather. By the way that was a joke at the end of our blog, I said "We are expecting...Another great year!" Haha. No baby for us right now. So sorry that I didn't post your comment, I don't want anyone to get confused!

Erin said...

Wow, I think you guys definitely got the worst of it. We were planning on driving through West VA on the 64 and I am so glad we decided to go through DC instead. It was still crazy but we were at least able to make it. Hope you guys had a great Christmas!

Sydney said...

Hi! I'm glad you made it there and back safe! I flew out to KS and drove back with my parents but luckily the roads were clear by then. Driving that long would make me go insane! Yay for a white Christmas! :)