Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dismal Swamp

Ronnie has been wanting to see Lake Drummond in the Dismal Swamp forever! This is a lake you can only reach by boat (This intrigues Ronnie).You take the dismal swamp canal in. So on Saturday we decided to go kayaking on the canal. We didn't quite make it to the lake but we kayaked around the canal for a while. This was fun except for the part where I was sitting in the back of the kayak getting splashed by swamp water every time Ronnie paddled....



A little snake that tried to climb on my oar!




The swamp water is so clear....eww.



Good times! Next time I'm sitting in the front :)

3 comments:

Lee Harmon Waters said...

That name reminds me of the swamp from The Princess Bride, but I cannot remember what the name of it was!!
I love paddling a boat, but if I was in a swamp, I too would need to sit up front. That water be nassssty.

Dan and Laura said...

That water looks gross! Is the lake that gross too? You have to tell us next time you make it there. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great photos. I wanted to let you know you can drive back to Lake Drummond with a day pass from the GDS National Wildlife Refuge on Monday through Friday. There is a boat ramp and boardwalk, but only during their operating hours. There is also a NC State Park just 3 miles from the NC/VA state line.
The reason the water is a dark tea color is due to the tannic acid from thousands of years of decomposition of Atlantic White Cedar and Cypress trees. During colonial times, it was considered quite pure because of its antibacterial properties and sailors kegged the water to be used at sea. Visit DismalSwampWelcomeCenter.com for more information! Glad you visited the Dismal Swamp.

Donna Stewart, Director
Dismal Swamp Welcome Center