Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Vacation - Part 2 - Kennebec



On Sunday morning we attended church in Boston and then headed north to Maine! Our next location was Kennebec.
Views on the Scenic Byway

 We arrived at our camp in the afternoon and it was a beautiful day. The mosquitoes were in full force here which I thought was strange since it was quite a bit cooler there (in the 70s the whole time we were in Maine) and it didn't feel very humid. Even with bug spray on they would come at ya and find the place where you had missed. This led to weird locations for mosquito bites...ex. ear lobe, neck, toes, forehead. There was quite a bit of poison ivy there as well. Ronnie got some and I had my first spots of poison ivy on my face...
For dinner we made foil dinners that we promptly burnt.... 

At least we had some jiffypop....delish!


 ...And some smores.
We had some very lively squirrels around our camp. They were hanging out around us all the time. Not scared at all. This one below was especially bold. We came back from taking showers and there he was eating the ground beef in the pan we had left out. We were right there and he didn't care one bit. They also tried to jump in our car. This guy almost made it in before I could run over there and close the door! Sheesh!

Now the main reason to visit Kennebec was to white water raft! This was so fun and my first time doing this. Ronnie has been before a couple times in WV and Colorado. Of course we didn't take our camera which was such a shame because the views were awesome and we could of had some great pics but we might buy a couple the company we went through took. See below.
We really enjoyed Northern Outdoors. They had a great lunch for us mid raft trip and they were very organized and friendly.
I got whacked in the face by the water myself and the water was cold!

The next day we took a trail to Moxie Falls. 
Here are the first falls you come across. Beautiful! 
 Now Ronnie is at the top of....
 ...this fall. So cool.

 We had to get creative with the self timer!

Overall this was a beautiful place and the only sad part was we didn't see a moose and we were driving up and down "Moose Alley" quite a bit. O well. The other thing is that we wished we had stayed in this area longer to go up to Baxter State Park or something. It was so quiet and peaceful. Live and learn I guess.

Stay tuned for more of our adventures in Maine!

2 comments:

Dan and Laura said...

How beautiful! And you guys are brave doing all that rafting. I like the self time picture. :)

Oh, and it's official. Dan and I bought our 10 year HS reunion tickets. Hope you guys can make it!

Nikki said...

I enjoyed your description of camp life! And despite the challenges, it appears that you had a great time! That is a cute squirrel. I think one of those tore up our tent while we went with Ronnie to view D.C. long ago! Everyone in our family was willing to give whitewater rafting a try except me! I now kind of regret that I never had the courage. But it sounds like you both had fun!!