Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer's lease hath all too short a date...or not?

The weather here has lately been flirting with us, foreshadowing the looming seasonal change. Rather than sweat us out and die a slow death, the tail end of summer has turned unseasonably cool, and most recently, overcast. I suppose it’s timely, considering I’ve been in school now for over a week and a half, and the start of school has always, at least for me, traditionally marked the ushering in of all things Autumn.

When it comes to the seasons, I generally consider myself ‘season neutral.’ That is, I enjoy each of the four seasons for its own sake and in its own turn; I do not usually prefer another over the one I’m in. Most of the time. But the onset of Autumn is low tide for this attitude, for it holds so many simple pleasures: vibrant leaves, hay bales, shocks of corn, Halloween, crisp breezes, and hot cider. As such, I welcome all the tale-tell signs. Autumn is at the door! Let it in.

Ok, so maybe it is a little premature to get all worked up about the rites of Autumn. –At least that’s what Heather’s telling me as I write this down. Oh, well, she has a point. Why hurry? Time goes by fast enough as it is. Speaking of which, Heather and I already celebrated our one-month anniversary. I can't believe it. We’re well on our way to the gold. I want to pause and reflect a moment on all that we've accomplished. …Let me see. We have almost spent all the gift card money we received from all the receptions and showers, etc. We’ve almost finished eating the M&Ms (with our names on them) that were passed out at the wedding. Lastly, we’ve almost unpacked everything in our apartment. Well, I would say that’s quite a lot. Oh, and lastly, my part in it all--I remembered the anniversary. Rose, balloon and card. Not bad, huh? I know, I know, I really shoudn't be so modest. That was soooooo thoughtful. Really a nice touch. Way to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ronny, you are a really funny writer. I enjoy your posts and can't wait to see ya'll sooner than later :) How is the third year of law school thus far? "A" says hello!